The Chiefs are 5-1 and every Chiefs fan that remembers great regular seasons from years of past, including 1995, 1997 and 2003 when they went 13-3 and never won a playoff game, just keep reminding themselves that 13-3 means nothing this year if it’s not followed by a Super Bowl trip.
I can’t blame them, the thought creeps into my mind uncontrollably. Chiefs are only 5-1 and may not even get to 13 wins, however, I think they will. Here are the reasons why I think the 2017 chiefs are greater than the 1995, 1997 and 2003 versions:
1. The Chiefs have a top 5 offense when healthy [similar to 2003] [better than 1995/1997]
2. The Chiefs have 3 first round picks on defense that are healthy (Ford, Peters, Johnson) and another that will join them soon (Hali) [Similar to 1995 and 1997] [different than 2003]
3. They have a top 5 QB and top 5 RB [similar to 2003] [different than 1995/1997]
4. They have been able to beat elite teams without special teams or defensive scores [similar to 1995 and 1997] [different than 2003]
5. They have superior QB and RB play to the 1995 and 1997 team and superior defensive backs to the 2003 Chiefs team
6. They play on the road just like they play at home [different than all other Chiefs teams except the Chiefs of the 1960s]
SO basically, the 2017 Chiefs team is a combination of the 1997 and 2003 version, one a defensive juggernaut and the other was an offensive powerhouse. It’ll come down to post season play to confirm, but I am excited about the Chiefs chances in the playoffs even if they don’t win home field advantage!